Start Submission Become a Reviewer

Reading: Modification of Potato Starch by Emerging Technologies

Download

A- A+
Alt. Display

Research Articles

Modification of Potato Starch by Emerging Technologies

Author:

Jhoseline S. Guillén

University of Campinas, Campinas, SP, BR
About Jhoseline S.
Food Technology Department, Faculty of Food Engineering
X close

Abstract

It is estimated that 56% of the annual production of potato starch in Europe is destined to the food industry while the remaining 44% is divided between chemical textile and paper industries. Native potato starch is subjected to modification processes that improve its functional properties such as gelatinization temperature, retrogradation time, resistance to viscosity loss and solubility, to be able to be used in different refrigerate d and non-refrigerated food as stabilizing agents and thickeners. The use of chemical substances during chemical modification processes usually degrades some rheological characteristics of starch, in addition the process itself may be harmful to human health and the environment. On the other hand, physical modification using emerging technologies such as high hydrostatic pressure, microwave and ultrasound are shown as potential alternatives, since they offer some advantage s such as higher productivity, performance, lower consumption of organic solvents, shorter processing time and it is more environmentally friendly by not generating hazardous industrial waste. The objective of this review is to provide updated information on the application of emerging technologies in potato starch and its potential to improve functional properties.
How to Cite: Guillén, J.S., 2021. Modification of Potato Starch by Emerging Technologies. Tropical Agricultural Research, 32(4), pp.480–487. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/tar.v32i4.8516
Published on 01 Oct 2021.
Peer Reviewed

Downloads

  • PDF (EN)

    comments powered by Disqus